Saturday, May 19, 2012

The main garden

The main garden has been tilled and fertilized with a 10-10-10 fertilizer.  I'm still learning what all those numbers mean but it's a general fertilizer so it went down!

I do have plant food for during the season fertilization.  I'll probably put that down in a few weeks.  Let the plants get established first.

One thing I have found that is a huge help in the garden is Preen.  I put it in with my Pansies and peas and onions and have had almost no weeds come back.  The main garden, unfortunately, has some deep root weeds.  The worst is the thistle.  They have a huge tap root and if you don't get the whole thing, just like a dandilion, it will be back.  Preen won't help with them but every few days I get out there with a new favorite tool of mine and dig them out.  One day, I'm hoping, they will give up and not come back! 

So far as of this post the following have been successfully planted...

  • Potatoes - Red and Yukon Gold
  • Tomatoes - Brandywine (heirloom), Plum and Grape
  • Bush Beans - Green and Wax Yellow.  These are in a wide row this year.  Experimental!
  • Detroit Golden Beets - these looked cool, when cooked they turn yellow.  So we are trying them!
  • Corn - 1 row so far.  Another going in shortly to stagger the season. 
  • Peppers - Bell, green/red, yellow and orange and a banana.  I'm going to get more and also try interplanting with the tomatoes.  Another experiment.
  • Eggplant - just 2 traditional
  • Zucchini and Yellow Squash
  • Watermelon
  • Cantelope (some interplanted with the corn)
Whew!  Can you tell we've been busy?

No comments:

Post a Comment